Friday, February 5, 2010

Begin

If you've ever met my husband you already know that one of his ongoing hobbies is creating band names. His best ever was the name of a much anticipated all girl band in the late 90s early 00s called Anal Yourmometer. There were girls, there were instruments. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortuitously, none of said girls could actually play said instruments. Visions of rocker girls faded but the name was strong and lives on. In fact, the none of the bands EVER materialize, but fortunately for all of us, Brian never stopped naming them.

Last night, Brian came home with a good one, one that spoke to me and I am officially taking it as a moniker. Not THE moniker. I'm noncommittal and frankly too chicken shit to make that big of a decision.

Wait its not that big of a decision.

I do feel that writing in this venue requires some focus. The subject "Me" is a little broad, or very broad if you are into puns. What does SexNotLove mean? Well I am going to take the asshole creative type cop out and refuse to interpret my own 'art.' You can't put your thumb on a sunbeam.

That is a joke.

Maybe I'll discover what it means over time. Maybe YOU will, maybe we'll discover together that it has none and never will be able to be categorized in a tidy label. Maybe SexNotLove will be a revolt against labels and against the limits labels create. Maybe we can just enjoy the action without feeling one way or another about it. ...Strip away pretense, and just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment